Sunday 27 May 2012

You could say I'm a bit of a fan...

I'm off to see Philip Glass along with the Kronos Quartet perform Glass' score to Dracula at the Wales Millennium Centre in Cardiff Bay tonight.

I sometimes hear music snobs diminish his work; the kind of people who link commercial success with lack of depth and talent. These are the kind of people who rate an artist on their poverty and suffering; as if living in a garret and being misunderstood is a prerequisite of true artistry. It's a romanticised and pubescent view of what it is to be an artist; the sort of statement you'd expect from a sixth former who's just discovered Thomas Chatterton.

I've seen Glass perform a number of times before. I've always liked his music; indeed, from the time I was a sixth former discovering Thomas Chatterton. I first saw him perform live back in the 90s when he did La Belle et la Bête at the Royal Festival Hall. Next, I saw him do his Solo Piano tour at St David's Hall in Cardiff and then I saw him do a live rendition of his original score for Koyaanisqatsi at the Wales Millennium Centre a couple of years ago. You could say I'm a bit of a fan.

Here's the Philip Glass YouTube page. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment