Saturday 19 May 2012

One nation...

We're nowhere near the start of the Olympics or the Jubilee and I'm already fed up with Union Flags everywhere. So much merchandise is carrying the Union Flag theme: t-shirts, underwear, jewellery, bedding, cushions, mugs and biscuit tins. The thinking being, I guess, that we are all to get united behind the flag for these two events that are set to dominate the Summer.

In reality, nothing quite divides us like the Union Flag. Many are unable to look at it without imagining racist overtones because of its adoption by far right, nationalist organisations, half the Northern Irish use it to provoke the other half, the Scots would prefer that their beloved Saltire weren't part of it and the Welsh aren't represented at all.

Ultimately, I'm left feeling as if I'm outside, looking in on a party I don't quite understand.
Today's run at 16:10
Distance5.01 kmTime27:03
Pace5:24 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Bright and sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment