Thursday 24 May 2012

Like tadpoles in a shrinking puddle...

A slow start for the sunny weather today. A haze drew itself over Cardiff until lunchtime but then it lifted revealing a wonderful Summer's day. After a lovely bike ride home with the sun on my back, I cycled on to Cardiff International Pool for a swim. The thought of slipping into that cool water was tempting and just what I needed to splash away my cares.

After changing I walked into the pool area and looked for a lane that seemed less busy than the others. I jumped in and that cool water took my breath away. Bobbing back to the surface I then clung to the side of the pool to adjust my goggles. One of the attendants shouted over that I'd have to move into the next lane as the one Id chosen was being used for swimming lessons. I asked him how many lanes were available for public swimming. Three was the answer.

I looked at the guy to my right in my lane and then looked at the guy to the left in my lane. We tutted and commented on how ridiculous this was. The three lanes soon became very full indeed. People were becoming very tetchy and understandably so. I managed to accidentally hit someone again as I passed them. Space was at a premium

With two or three people in a lane you can overtake if you need to when you're swimming at a faster pace than the one in front. Any more than three in a lane and it's difficult to overtake. Accidents happen and swimmers become frustrated when they're tickling the feet of the swimmer in front.

I complained to the manager as I was leaving. I wasn't the only one.

No comments:

Post a Comment