Saturday 12 May 2012

Have you seen my vastus medialis...?

A lovely 5km run around the Bay this morning. The sun was shining and it was still early enough to be quite peaceful and still; before the crowds descend - as they invariably do on weekends when the weather is good.

I haven't run since last Sunday because I've had a bit of a knee twinge thing going on (technical term). It's felt very similar to the early stages of the problems I had with my knee over two years ago. It's not been painful but a little uncomfortable when going up and down stairs. But then, that's how it started last time.

That episode stopped me running for a month or more and involved regular visits to the physio to get it sorted. This week I've been swimming instead and doing the leg exercises the physio prescribed two years ago. The exercises involve building up the Vastus Medialis (sometimes known as the teardrop muscle) on my right leg.

And the reason I need to concentrate on this muscle in particular? Having dislocated my right hip when I was 18 and then badly broken my right ankle 5 years ago which required surgery to pin and plate my fibula; my right leg is weaker than my left and because of that my knee is prone to track incorrectly - building up my Vastus Medialis corrects that.

I'm pleased to announce that the exercises are paying off; this morning's run caused me no pain, not even the slightest knee twinge thing going on...
Today's run at 7:45
Distance5.01 kmTime27:10
Pace5:25 min/kmCadence83 spm
Comments: Bright and sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment