Sunday 13 May 2012

Don't take your mum for granted...

I spent yesterday afternoon with my mum helping her choose a new mobile phone. Her contract with O2 has been up some time and I know she's been itching to get her hands on a new gadget. For a 77 year old she likes her techie toys.

When we got to the 02 shop, she said she'd like a smartphone with a touchscreen. She tried using one of the display models and soon realised that touchscreen technology maybe a step too far. Or maybe she caught sight of the look of alarm on the salesman's face as she pawed at the screen in frustration.

While she was distracted with another phone a few steps away, the salesman asked me what features did she consider to be the most important. I said, beyond making calls and texting, a good camera and enough memory to store any images. She chipped in, "And the internet, boy; definitely the internet..." I questioned this but she was quite resolved.

She eventually decided to go for a Blackberry Curve. I'd assumed that she'd want the black model but she was quite adamant that the purple model was the one for her. I questioned why the purple, adding that I thought she'd much prefer black. "No boy" came the reply, "The purple goes with my glasses..."

No comments:

Post a Comment