Tuesday 20 September 2011

Will you still love me...?

Reading the news tonight, it seems that someone in the Lib Dems at their conference in Birmingham has got some common sense with their questioning of the new restrictions over when gay men can give blood. As I said in my earlier post - How can Sir Nick Partridge, chief executive of the Terence Higgins Trust, say that these new rules are, "necessary, fair and reasonable"?

Furthermore, I see that the US dropped their discriminatory "don't ask, don't tell" policy today. US President Obama said, "As of today, patriotic Americans in uniform will no longer have to lie about who they are in order to serve the country they love,"

And finally, I read a story today about a man in the US Army stationed in Germany who video records the moment when he phones his dad to tell him that he's gay. He says that he's been working himself up for 4 hours before telling him. This is riveting stuff and your heart just goes out to this guy.

There are many who think that nowadays being gay is something and nothing, a walk in the park, a matter of no real consequence any more. I believe that a measure of true equality for gay people will be when coming out is not the heart-in-mouth moment it is for this guy, frightened that his dad is going to stop loving him.

"Will you still love me?" the guy asks his dad. “I still love you, son. Yes, I still love you,” the father replies. Watch this US Army guy's moving coming out moment captured here.

No comments:

Post a Comment