Friday 9 September 2011

Lethargy, lassitude, torpor, torpidity, stupor, languor...

I'm not quite sure why I feel so lethargic but I have done ever since I returned from my week in Istanbul last Saturday. I just can't summon the enthusiasm to do anything. Normally I'm always on the go; always doing something - go for a run, go for a swim, nip to Tesco, pop into town etc. However for this last week all I've wanted to do is mooch.

I've had to force myself out of bed every morning this week; something that never happens. I've never had any difficulty getting out of bed, I'm up and about usually before they've finished the first news headline on Radio 4's Today Programme when my alarm goes off at 6:30am. Today saw me languishing there, entangled in the duvet like some 1930s Hollywood starlet.

Once up, this last week has seen me loitering around my computer, not actually doing anything. l just blankly stare at the monitor, like I'm tranfixed by the interweb ions. I've had to force myself away to do things that need doing, such as laundry, food shopping, cleaning etc. The thought of a run or a swim, this week, has been such an effort and inconvenience. It feels like I've occupied someone else's body.

Today I sat about drinking coffee and playing on my computer until about 11:30am and then I had to force myself to wash, dress, clean my teeth and then cycle to the pool for a swim. Once in the water, of course, everything's fine and I'm pleased that I bothered; it's the thought of it that's the hard part. In fact, today's swim was a speedy affair that saw me power up and down the lanes with enough energy for two swimmers.

I wonder why I'm finding it so difficult just to get going in the first place?

No comments:

Post a Comment