Friday 16 September 2011

Friday night drama...

In which Duncan's subconscious, disguised as Satan, tries to persuade him not to go for a run after work on a Friday night.

Satan is sitting on the sofa reading Heat Magazine.
The door to the flat can be heard to open and then slam shut.
Duncan enters.

Duncan: Still here?
Duncan throws his bag down then flops in an armchair.
Satan: After the week you’ve had, you deserve to put your feet up tonight.
Duncan: After my run, that is my precise intention.
Satan: I didn’t think you’d want to go running tonight?
Duncan: It's what I need.
Duncan takes a breath.
Duncan: It'll help clear my head.
Duncan hauls himself to his feet.
Satan peeps over his magazine at Duncan.
Satan: Did you pick up that bottle of wine for later?
Duncan: Shit!
Satan: You do look knackered, mate.
Duncan: Really?
Satan: Why don’t you postpone your run until tomorrow and nip to Tesco for that wine instead. A glass or two of Cabernet will relax you.
Duncan thinks about this.
Duncan: I think a run would relax me more.
Duncan makes to leave.
Satan puts his magazine down.
Satan: Always had a problem with guilt, haven’t you?
Duncan: What?
Satan: Like you’ve always got to earn that reward.
Duncan: Where’s this coming from?
Satan: Even Mo Farah takes the occasional day off.
Duncan: Can we pick this up when I get back?
Duncan makes to leave again but Satan grabs his arm.
Satan: Look at those big black clouds.
Duncan: I like running in the rain. Remember?
Satan: I know. I mean... I was going to say they look like they’re finally going to let the sun through.
Duncan pulls away from Satan.
Duncan: I like the warmth of the sun too. I’m going to get changed.
Duncan leaves the room.
Satan looks desperate.
Satan: You’ll miss The One Show...!
After successfully battling this demon in my head, I went for a run and was rewarded with a downpour of rain for the last kilometre. Happy days.

No comments:

Post a Comment