Sunday 18 September 2011

Bits and pieces...

I've spent the morning looking out of the window at the frequent but irregular showers and the first part of the afternoon getting soaked by them. When I looked at the BBC's weather forecast for Cardiff last night it showed a dull start but brightening weather throughout the day. The weather bulletin on BBC Radio 4 this morning seemed to corroborate this. However, the reality today was a stop start grey drizzle through most of the morning followed by glimpses of blue sky but unpredictable heavy downpours throughout the afternoon. I guess that's what they mean by brightening.

I got fed up by lunchtime and cycled to the swimming pool. I didn't want to feel trapped indoors like I was yesterday. I paid the price of getting soaked to the skin before I got there, drenched again on the way to the supermarket after my swim and half drowned cycling from the supermarket back home. Yet everytime I parked the bike and went indoors the rain stopped and there was a blaze of sunshine.

My swim was pretty uneventful. The pool was relatively empty and fairly quiet. I like it that way, especially when the lanes are configured at 50m, as they were today. Such a peaceful and relaxing swim. Upon exiting the pool, I did spot a woman in the changing village stood looking in the mirrors in jeans and a bra, which she was trying to hook up (see last Thursday's post). Hello, this isn't your bedroom!

Following my swim, I then went home for a spot of DIY. Basically, I'm getting a bit fed up with the connection dropping to my desktop computer on my wireless broadband. It seems to do this at about 6ish or 7ish every evening. Could it be the interruption from everyone turning on their wireless broadband? Anyway, I'd been looking into buying some adapters and setting up a powerline network in the flat so that my main desktop computer doesn't suffer these outages. However, a cheaper solution I'd thought about was to run a network cable via the loft from the router in the lounge into the desktop in my spare room.

After buying a 15m network cable this afternoon, I wrung my clothes out and set about it. The bit I always hate is crawling about in the loft space. I'm scared of falling through between the beams, the insulation makes me itch like hell and I hate the the huge spiders up there. However, Indiana Jones like, I braved this hostile environment and managed to connect computer to router. The bonus is it seems to be working (so far). Another bonus is that I don't seem to have made that much mess. Remarkable!

No comments:

Post a Comment