Saturday 24 September 2011

The eagle has landed...

A bit of a slow start this morning. I managed to stay asleep until 8:00am and then just dozed (with one eye open) until 9:00am listening to the lovely Evan Davis on BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.

I pottered about until 10:00am, drinking much too much coffee, before cycling to the supermarket twice (I forgot to get fresh ginger for my tea) and then cycling to the barber's for a trim. When I got home, I rinsed my hair in the shower to get rid of the loose strands, already driving me to itchy hell and back.

I then went for a very pleasant and relaxed run in the wonderful autumnal sunshine that gave Cardiff a golden glow throughout this morning into the early part of the afternoon. I know that I've said I enjoy running in the rain (and I do) but nothing quite beats running with the warmth of the sun on your back. And so it was today.

After my run I met a mate in town for a drink. Now that the Kings has closed, it's a bit of a job to know where to go. We ended up in Wow, which (whatever you think of it) I always feel is more of an evening bar. Despite the abysmal service, we managed one or two drinks before decamping to The Eagle, a new bar on Charles St. It was empty when we got there but seemed pleasant enough (especially when I screwed my eyes up really tight and tried to imagine it with a few customers in there).

The Eagle is marketed as a gay men's bar, with a leaning toward a clone/bear clientele: no windows; few seats; grey decor; lots of slate, steel and mirrors. Intimate (small). I was told by a barman that I should not miss next Saturday night on any account. When I asked why, I was told because they are having a bootcamp night next Saturday and I should wear my combats.

Do I look as if I own a pair of combats?

No comments:

Post a Comment