Monday 19 September 2011

Mists and mellow fruitfulness

Judging by the weather today (and, to be honest, the last couple of days), Autumn is well on its way to making itself at home. That pervasive drizzle has well established itself and there is certainly the beginnings of a chill to the air. I wore my v neck sweater to work today - the first time since last March.

This evening's run was a moist affair in the rain. Although, as some of you might know, I quite like running in the rain. The air was heavy and there was a strong smell damp wood everywhere. The run itself was fairly pleasant and I felt quite relaxed, cooled and pampered by the drizzle with the low clouds and failing light. And I could certainly feel the night drawing in as I came to the end of my run - dusk was upon me.

I've always looked forward to and welcomed the new season, whatever it may be. However, I can't help but feel I was short changed with this year's Summer and so I'm not quite ready for Keats' "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness". Summer never really got started and the few glints we saw were ended all to soon. And as for the "gathering swallows"; well, I think they have long finished their "twitter in the skies", if indeed they ever got started. Seems like a cue for Mr Antonio Vivaldi

No comments:

Post a Comment