Monday 5 September 2011

What an unexpected waste...

Today has been frustrating to say the least. It's been the sort of day where nothing works in your favour; a sort of doesn't do what it says on the tin kinda day. A lot of waiting around and I hate days off work that are wasted like this - just waiting around.

I woke at 5:00am and so switched the radio on, which sent me back to sleep until 7:00am. I then got up, drank too much coffee, ate my porridge and read the news online. I mooched around in my underpants until about midday. No work today as I've got another week before I go back to work... and I choose to get up at 7:00am. What's that about?

I spent the morning waiting for an engineer to fiddle with my boiler (again, not a euphemism). You may remember that the day before I left for Istanbul an engineer came to service my boiler. Well, whatever he did rendered it useless and I have been without hot water ever since - just as well I've not been here. Anyway, eventually, about lunchtime he arrived. He fiddled for 45 minutes then he left. At last, I now have hot water.

I then spent the afternoon waiting for a UPS delivery. Before I went on holiday, I signed up for a broadband sharing service called Fon. The way it works is: you agree to share your unused broadband via WiFi with other Fon registered users and in return they share their unused broadband via WiFi with you. What this means is you get free broadband via any Fon WiFi hotspot throughout the world. To enable you to share your WiFi you buy their WiFi router for 39€. This router allows your WiFi signal to be split and managed.

Anyway, I waited until about 5:00pm before he eventually arrived. Why am I always last on the bloody list? I'm not sure what I would've done had I the freedom to leave the flat and do what I wanted; each time I looked out of the window, it seemed that a rogue fragment of Hurrican Irene was blowing through. Not great weather for early September but perfect running weather. However, I didn't get my kit on and out the door until 5:30pm, by which time it was calm and the skies were starting to clear. Typical!

And my run was a rather heavy footed affair, which was a little unexpected given that I'd been running everyday in Istanbul on steeper inclines than I ever encounter here and in temperatures that were regularly hitting 30C+. You'd think I'd be able to take a trot across the bridge in my stride after that. Nothing today has turned out as I'd expected or hoped for.

And can I ask, "Why did they name one of the most destructive weather events Irene; a name which means peace?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment