Thursday 29 September 2011

There is Nothing Like a Dame...

As is my way, I come to such things late. I missed the first ever episode of Downton Abbey and never managed to catch up and so Downton mania has passed me by. Whenever I've seen Facebook updates or Twitter tweets mentioning Downton, I've ignored them.

Knowing I'd have some time to kill on a train journey earlier in the week, I downloaded Downton Abbey, episode 1, series 1. Wow! Why didn't anyone tell me? On the strength of the first episode, I've now downloaded the entire series.

I have to admit that a major draw for me (and every other gay man with a TV) has to be Maggie Smith. I'm a major fan of this woman. No-one delivers a line quite like her:
Diana Barrie: We should never have come. I never know how to dress in this bloody country. It is so easy to dress in England. You just put on warm clothing. (California Suite).
Joyce Chilvers: I think sexual intercourse is in order, Gilbert. (A Private Function).
Susan: Shows me pictures of other gods, getting up to [pause] all sorts. "Well," I said, "she looks a very busy lady. Is that yoga?" "Well, it helps", he said. (Talking Heads - A Bed Among The Lentils).
Reverend Mother: Brace yourself, sisters. Spread out and look for Mary Clarence. Try to blend in. (Sister Act).
Violet, Dowager Countess of Grantham: What is a weekend? (Downton Abbey).
Fantabulosa...!

No comments:

Post a Comment