Thursday 7 June 2012

Now is the winter of our discontent...?

I'm a fair weather cyclist but enjoy running in any weather. In fact, I quite like running in the rain, I find it quite invigorating when it's windy and, after the initial sting, hailstones have a burn to them that's quite pleasant. As much fun as it was to run in these conditions in the Winter, it's not the sort of weather I've come to expect in June.

Tonight's run consisted of all of the above weather elements. I knew it was quite blustery from looking out the window before setting off. However, I bore the full force of those winds once out on the bridge crossing the Taff. It was at this point I was pelted with hailstones. My legs were numb and my bald head frozen. Some 15 minutes later as the hailstones subsided, a downpour of rain started.

As I returned to Mermaid Quay I could do nothing but grin in response to this wintery weather. As tourists bolted for shelter, I skirted the Oval Basin, drenched and sporting the widest lunatic grin I could muster. Whilst I might feel a little short changed, were I on holiday in Cardiff Bay today; as someone who lives here and enjoys a run after work to unwind, all I felt was glad to be alive.
Today's run at 17:16
Distance5.16 kmTime28:57
Pace5:37 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Windy and rainy with hailstones.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you could grin Duncan; I on the other hand did not, as I wasted 3 ciggies during the day, as they practically smoked themselves in the wind, outside County Hall, where the 'smoker's lounge' has been moved away from under the tobacco police's window, to a shelter with a roof less than 3/4 of the size of the shelter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps that's God's way of telling you to give up? If he existed... ;-)

    ReplyDelete