Friday 1 June 2012

A lovely, long and lazy weekend...

At last, the bank holiday Jubilee weekend is here. Yay! Anyone would think I'm a monarchist. Nah, not really; just looking forward to a lovely, long and lazy weekend. As for marking 60 glorious years of Queen Elizabeth II; beyond this post, I shan't give it another thought. I'm sure there'll be many references in the media to what the world was like when she first became Queen...

In 1952 Winston Churchill was Prime Minister and Harry S Truman was US President, Joe Strummer, Jenny Agutter, Liam Neeson and Douglas Adams were born, the films Singing in the Rain and High Noon were released, the United Nations moved to its home in New York, The Mousetrap opened in London's West End, Churchill announced that the UK had an atomic bomb, the US signed a peace treaty with Japan, Helsinki hosted the Olympics and Italy, France, West Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg formed the European Coal and Steel community (later to become the European Union). The world has changed much.

Plans for this weekend? Some running and swimming, no doubt. I have a friend staying and consequently I shall be on best behaviour, so no drinking to excess or being naughty; although I might introduce him to my local homosexual hostelry on Sunday - something I certainly wouldn't have been able to do openly 60 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment