Wednesday 13 June 2012

My bloody flip flop...

Another pleasant day spent on the gay beach on the fifth day of my holiday here in Maspalomas, Gran Canaria; the fifth day of unbroken sunny blue skies and the fifth day of temperatures above 30C. That might be hard for some of you to read back in dear old Blighty!

The only difference between the fifth day of my holiday and the previous four was that today the wind picked up a little, cooling us gay boys down and making for enormous fun in the waves - I'm sure you'd have been able to hear my squeals of fun back in Cardiff every time a wave hit me.

This afternoon I concentrated on tanning my white bits - I don't mean that euphemistically for my butt and wobbly bits, no, they've seen more sun than ever this week. I mean my sides or flanks; for some reason my flanks seem paler than the rest of me along with my upper outer arms.

And so I lay there on my side listening to my Northern Soul All Nighter album on my iPhone whilst thinking what on earth would form the subject matter of my blog tonight. By 15:00 I was getting very hot and so decided to walk back through the dunes to Playa del Ingles, while I gave tonight's blog a little more thought.

I don't think I'd been walking more than 5 minutes when I stubbed my toe on something in the path. I looked down and saw a broken green bottle strewn across the path. I glanced at my toe and there was cut just starting to ooze blood; lots of it. This quickly soaked into my flip flop turning the front of it into browny red mess. This then got caked in hot sand.

There wasn't much to do, other than forge on and complete the 2km trek through the dunes back to the nearest hotel. From there I knew I'd be able to get a cab. Toward the end of my bloody yomp, I bumped into a Dutch guy, Bas, who was on the beach earlier with his boyfriend. His friendly face and pleasant conversation provided a welcome distraction from my injury; I'm always a sucker for a nice smile!

Update on the gashed toe and bloody flip flop: after a trip to the local farmacia I have cleaned the wound by cutting off the flap of skin that fell victim to the green glass bottle, cleaned the gash using cotton buds and salt water, sprayed the area with an antiseptic solution, stuck it with a clear plaster and, most importantly of all, managed to wash away most of the gunk absorbed by my bloody flip flop.

No comments:

Post a Comment