Monday 25 June 2012

My life as a dog...

The one negative aspect of a great weekend is adjusting to Monday and everything it brings. A bright weekend can cast a long shadow over the working week. Usually, I'm quite good at this readjustment; only last week I returned from Gran Canaria on the Saturday and was back in work on Monday harbouring little reluctance or reticence.

Today was totally different; I just yearned for the easy and relaxed time I'd enjoyed over the weekend. I wanted to sit in bars and cafes and not at my desk or in meetings. The day dragged as did my feet and made everything seem like a challenge; simply going for a wee felt like one of the labours of Hercules. Today was certainly a dog of a day.

Glad when home time came, I cycled back to the Bay and bought a bottle of red on the way - I felt I'd earned it. I'd almost talked myself out of going for a run and into just opening the wine. However, something in me forced me out of the door and I set off in my usual direction - over the bridge toward the Sports Village. The weather was lovely and I soon developed a spring in my step. The corners of my mouth began to curl upward.

Passing Cardiff International Pool, instead of following it round as I usually do and onwards back to the Bay, I suddenly crossed the road and started running in the direction of Pont Y Werin over the River Ely. I surprised myself with this sudden change in direction. I'm not sure what possessed me. Before I knew it I was heading for the barrage, committing myself to a longer run than I'd planned. By now though, I was grinning.

I read in an old running magazine the other day that you should run like a dog; sprint, smile, trot, pant, change direction, get wet, don't get too hung up and enjoy it. It's excellent advice as it's very easy to become too serious about running, what with all the clothing, equipment and accessories. It's very easy to lose sight of what a fun, free and exhilarating activity it can and should be.

My run around the barrage tonight was amazing, made all the more so by it not being planned. The sun was shining and it really felt good to be alive. I felt like the dog described in the running magazine as I darted about, panting and enjoying myself. It was a wonderful reminder of why I run and what a simple pleasure it is in itself. It really is a dog's life...

Today's run at 17:25
Distance7.50 kmTime45:19
Pace6:03 min/kmCadence82 spm
Comments: Sunny.

No comments:

Post a Comment