Monday 11 July 2011

To sleep: perchance to dream...

It sounded like a good idea a couple of weeks ago when I stuck my hand in the air to volunteer to work tonight. As the culmination of a high profile project in work we have an IT release tonight. It has to be during the night because that's when fewest people are affected. Now that this night shift is imminent, I'm not so sure about my earlier keenness...

I left work mid afternoon today. I should've gone straight to bed and tried to sleep in preparation but I sort of knew that wouldn't happen. Instead I rode about on my bike for a bit. I went into town and picked up my monthly prescription and then I had a little nose about the shops before meandering home.

It was a muggy afternoon; not very pleasant, especially for running. I thought a run might be a good idea as it might tire me out a bit so I could get my head down. I was sweating before I got out the front door. However, my legs felt light and I was full of bounce. I thought about the Diamond League Men's 5000m I'd seen on TV from Birmingham last night: Mo Farah did it in a little over 13 minutes - that's nearly double the speed at which I run! I can't even conceive of moving my legs that quickly over 500m, never mind 5000m.

I know that he's running on a level track and doesn't have to negotiate slopes and steps and potholes in the roads and pavements but still... It's the difference I find astounding: double my pace! I finished my 5000m run tonight looking a lot less composed than Mo Farah did last night after his run and in an unimpressive 26 minutes. My hopes of a place on Team GB in 2012 are dwindling fast!

And even that little run has not tired me out. Nor the muggy atmosphere which has persisted into the evening. There is little point in lying down and trying to catch 40 winks. I feel as bright as a button at the moment but it's a sure bet I'm going to be fighting to stay awake come the wee, small hours. I shall console myself with the delicious prospect of no work until Wednesday, once I finish my second shift in 24 hrs at 8ish tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment