Monday 18 July 2011

More Saga than sagger...

Last year a friend of mine told me that I should wear my jeans lower; more on the hip than the waist. Not wanting to risk comparisons with Simon Cowell, I made the change - although, I must admit, it still feels odd. I don't feel secure without a belt around my waist and, I have to say, part of my reluctance to wear my jeans lower is an aversion to the sagger look.

Dressing for your age is a hard one to guage. I don't want to turn into some sad old queen before my time; out of step with everything other than nostalgia. Equally, I don't want to become one of those older gay men who try so desperately to cling on to their youth at all costs; squeezed into the latest fashion and cramped by their own style. It's a tough life steering a safe passage between Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh.

Tonight's run was a short one. My third run in three days, I am being careful not to over do it. During yesterday's run I felt a twinge just above my right hip; like I'd strained something somewhere deep inside. By tonight's run it was transforming from twinge into pain and during the run it got worse.

As a young man, I spent my life shrugging off such pains and twinges but, as I get older, I can't help wondering is this just a fleeting pang or is this something far more serious. Is that just an ache or is this a cue for a hip replacement?

As you get older, you become less spontaneous and more conscious of everything. What once you just did, now you have to plan for first. Look at Saga and their strap line, "Doing things properly." As you get older, doing things properly becomes more important.

Of course, I make it sound like I'm over the hill and past it when, in fact, I'm nowhere near that. As the song goes, "Oh, it's a long, long while from May to December" - and whilst I'm nowhere near December, autumn is fast approaching.

2 comments:

  1. My issue is what do you do when the clothes you feel comfortable in and have always worn become inappropriate. You find yourself wearing things you think you should do given your age and fail because its not you. My issue is what do you do when the clothes you feel comfortable in and have always worn become inappropriate. You find yourself wearing things you think you should do given your age and fail because its not you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. I think that we're in agreement, Skater Boy. The uncertainty arises when you get older; it's a matter of confidence: when you're younger you can wear anything but as you get older you have to be a bit more choosey.

    ReplyDelete