Thursday 21 July 2011

Elaine Carmody fights for your rights...

Cardiff International Pool opens at 06:15 on weekday mornings and it's usually full from the start. Swimmers training for events have arrived for their first swim of the day and anyone who fancies a pre-work dip gets in there as well. I don't usually go until after work in the evening when it's a lot less busy. On the rare occasions I have gone for a swim in the morning, I usually try and avoid the place until after 09:00, when most of the early birds have cleared.

If I do go for an early pre-breakfast swim, I'll just just jump out of bed, throw on an old pair of shorts and a t-shirt and then cycle the 10 minute ride over to the swimming pool for a quick dip. However, I always feel a bit scummy; not having washed or made any effort at all. I feel the same when I have to pop to the local supermarket first thing if I've run out of milk.

Feeling scummy and unwashed and wearing yesterday's t-shirt whilst buying a pint of milk is one thing but I really can't conceive of popping anywhere, swimming pool or supermarket, in my pyjamas. However, if I did decide to leave my flat sporting nightwear, I wouldn't be alone in Cardiff Bay. When I'm going to work in the morning I frequently see people in dressing gowns leaving the local shop; usually clutching a carton of milk, the Daily Mail under their arm and a ciggie in their face.

I haven't yet seen anyone at the pool wearing pyjamas. The sort of people who go to the pool that early aren't really the sort who'd pop to the shop in their jim jams for 20 Benson & Hedges. Although, I can remember wearing pyjamas to my local pool once but that was when I was a 12 year old a Boy Scout and I had to dive to the bottom of the pool and retrieve a brick wearing them. I think I got a badge for it.

Does anyone remember the Elaine Carmody news item that broke in January 2010? My friend Carl reminded me of this classic David and Goliath story of a full time mother of two fighting a multi national for her right to wear her pyjamas to go pick up a packet of fags. It's comedy gold.

If she was in the Girl Guides, they'd have given her a badge.

No comments:

Post a Comment