Sunday 31 July 2011

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens...

There are times when everything just seems to go wrong. You tip things and burn things, you are blocked at every move you make. Nothing seems to go your way. You end up thinking, "What have I done to deserve this?"

This weekend has been nothing like that. This weekend has been abso-bloody-lutely lovely.

It started on Friday when I bought some shorts in the Zara sale for the bargain price of only £7.99. Ching-ching! This was followed on Friday evening with my first run in a week - and my hip wasn't sore. On Saturday I cycled about quite a bit in the afternoon sunshine and then went for a lovely, long relaxing swim.

On Saturday night, I went with my friend Jaime to the impressive, newly renovated Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama to see the excellent Only Men Aloud perform in the intimate Dora Stoutzker Hall. With no microphones and only a pianist and cellist to accompany them, the first half of the show was almost entirely made up of classical pieces. The second half saw them on more familiar territory and the show as a whole made for a frequently moving, often rousing, always stunning and ever enjoyable evening out.

Afterwards, we joined some of them for a few drinks at the Cameo Club in Pontcanna (I have a vague memory of a Justin Lee Collins look-alike). You soon realise why they work so well together on stage: that is because they are such friends together off stage.

Today saw me surface from under my never-been-slept-in, brand new bedding, which I'd forgotten I'd put on before I went out last night. Mmmmmm! I spent most of the day mooching about on my bike again in the good weather (sporting my new Zara shorts). I cycled around the Bay and into the town centre and then onwards out to Bute Park before retracing my steps. This I followed with another long and relaxing swim at Cardiff International Pool before returning home and eating my own bodyweight in cheese. That done, all I can now do is gently rock from side to side.

Happy days...

No comments:

Post a Comment