Tuesday 19 July 2011

Like a fish out of water...

My preferred direction of swimming is clockwise; always on the left hand side of the lane. Tonight I shared a lane with a guy who was already swimming in an anti-clockwise direction when I arrived. I had no option but to fit in and follow his lead. But then, I'm such a conformist.

It's amazing how something like this can throw you. I had to really concentrate on counting lengths and ensuring I was swimming in a straight line. Things I've long taken for granted, such as turning and kicking, I now became very conscious of. It seemed that even homeostatic regulators, such as heart rate and breathing, might be up for review.

But why do I prefer clockwise and why did he prefer anti-clockwise? What possessed him to swim in an anti-clockwise direction? Is it to do with right and left handedness or could he be from a country where they drive on the right? I puzzled about this for the entire duration of my swim. My only conclusion was that he wasn't the conformist I am; probably a bit more rebel and a lot more rock'n'roll than me.

Or maybe, when he got in the pool, the guy already in that lane was swimming in an anti-clockwise direction...?

No comments:

Post a Comment