Sunday 10 July 2011

Ride me...

A sunny day of cycling here and there, hither and thither: to Asda's to get ingredients for tonight's mushroom orzotto, to B&Q  for some adhesive, to Cardiff International Pool for a swim (Yay! I don't believe it; the pool's open...), to Morrison's for their wonderful bread made with the spelt grain, into town for a bit of a mooch and then back out to the Bay for a coffee at Coffee Mania with a mate. Peddle power!

The only cloud in the sky was that the Terrence Higgins Trust chose to accept Murdoch's offer to advertise for free in the last edition of the News of the World. Other charities (notably the Salvation Army and the RSPCA) managed to control themselves and reject Murdoch's offer of free advertising space. I fear that this can only harm the THT - a decision they will regret, I think.

On one of today's forays, I noticed a woman on one of the numerous rental bicycles from OYBike. Usage of these rental bikes parked throughout Cardiff seems to have grown in the two or three years since they began. However, as this woman passed me, my eye was caught by some OYBike advertising on the bicycle itself. "Ride Me" it said and, in Welsh on the other side, "Neidiwch arna i" (Jump on me). She obviously didn't care (and neither would I) but I can imagine some customers potentially being put off by having such a message boldly emblazoned on their bike.

And with that, I'll sign off for today: before I sail even further into murky NOTW territory and their smutty puns and jokes, before I'm hacking into your phone, before the THT come looking for free advertising space.

No comments:

Post a Comment