Thursday 7 July 2011

Budgie smugglers...

People wear the strangest things to go swimming. It seems they always have done: the bikini, tankini, burqini, monokini, unikini, mankini and fundoshi. I never knew there was such a choice! But despite that choice, I've seen people in the swimming pool wearing cut off jeans, shorts, boxer briefs and even y-fronts.

It seems that the French had the right idea with their ban of shorts style swimwear in favour of the swim brief. The reason they stated was hygiene; you're less likely to wear such things for anything other than swimming at a pool and therefore you're less likely to carry grit and dirt into the pool.

I was swimming tonight alongside a man in a pair of calf length floral board shorts. How do you swim in those? The weight and drag must have affected his ability to swim. They were almost trouser length. I wondered why he'd bothered getting changed.

I must admit, I'm a Speedos fan, myself. I know that people think I'm a bit kinky in my liking for them but they make sense, especially when you swim for exercise: they're small and roll up in a towel easily, they dry quickly, they're hygienic (if you believe the French) and they don't produce drag when you're swimming.

I'm more than happy with my banana hammock, slug huggers or budgie smugglers... take your pick!

No comments:

Post a Comment