Tuesday 12 July 2011

Sharks gotta swim...

And so I finished my second full shift in 24hrs at 08:30 this morning. Abso-bloody-lutely shattered! However, accentuating the positive; it passed quickly, I got quite a bit of work done, I didn't feel that tired through the night, the company was good and the release went well.

When I left work this morning, I cycled straight to the pool for a swim. It had been a muggy evening and this wasn't helped by the fact that the air conditioning in work had little or no effect making it a sticky night. The pool was quite empty, calm and quiet and the coolness of the water beckoned; as I swam I could quite easily have drifted into a deep sleep. If only I could just glide through the cool water without the need to break the surface for air. I felt a little like a shark, slowly moving to remain afloat and to keep water passing through its gills.

After my swim, I cycled back home for a breakfast of two big, strong coffees and a bowl of porridge. It was at this point I started to flag; my legs felt heavy but not quite as heavy as my eyelids. I lay down only to be woken half an hour later by the warning noise of a lorry reversing in the street outside.

I had a shower to wake me up and then cycled up to the National Museum of Wales in the city centre to see the new art galleries that opened on the weekend. Not quite as impressive as the hype led you to believe but pleasant and long overdue. It's always a pleasure to visit the National Museum in Cardiff and, if you've not seen the permenant collection, you should certainy visit; the Monets, Manets, Van Gochs, Cezannes, Renoirs and Rodins make it an exhibition of international standing.

A stroll through town and then I cycled back home for some lunch and... instead of putting my head down and giving in to an intense urge to close my eyes, I cycled off to Ikea and a few other dusty corners of the Bay for an hour or two. This was followed by a slow and lesiurely ride back home where this shark is, at long last, going to close his eyes and rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment