Wednesday 13 July 2011

I'm not superstitious but...

I'm out running and before I know it, I've stepped on a drain cover. No! Why don't I focus on what I'm doing rather than daydreaming and passively taking in the passing scenery. Wait! I only stepped on a drain cover; it's not the end of the world.

I should imagine I am not alone when I admit to having some superstitions about running. The world of sport has always been littered with participants (and followers) who have rituals, quirks and superstitions to do with their activity.

A lot of the superstions runners have will centre on the competition day, such as not shaving on a race day or not wearing new running gear on a race day. I guess, though, the last thing you want to do on a race day is to be distracted by something like itchy stubble or, worse still, ill fitting trainers.

Others get superstitious about their preparation before a run, for example eating certain foodstuffs or doing stretches in a certain order. This too makes good sense, as what and when you eat has such an impact on your running. I recently read an article arguing that the absense of a pre-run stretch did not lead to injuries; what led to injuries was the absence of a pre-run stretch if you normally streched before your run or the inclusion of a pre-run stretch if you normally didn't bother.

Some superstitions will focus on training; I was recently talking to a runner who did not like the week's milage to end in a 9. I'm not quite sure how to explain that one rationally. Perhaps this is one that is actually based on true superstition. Bonkers!

I'm not normally a superstitious person; things that are not based in knowledge or reason rarely get much space. I guess, though, that there's actually some sense in avoiding running on drain covers, especially when you see the state on some of the drains that pepper my route. However, it has now gone beyond sense and I often put myself at greater risk by running in the road in order to avoid the drain cover than the risk I'd face by running on the drain cover itself. High time that I got a grip and knocked it on the head.

Now, where's my lucky rabbit's foot...?

No comments:

Post a Comment