Wednesday 4 April 2012

Parents and their favorites...

When it comes to children, parents aren't supposed to have favorites. My gran had favorites. My mother wasn't one of them. This she realised at an early age. My mother never really got on with her mother.

Swansea was one of the most heavily bombed cities in the UK during the Second World War. Children in their thousands were evacuated to the relative safety of the welsh countryside, including to Penclawdd, the village my gran lived in and I grew up in.

During the war my gran was heavily involved as a warden with the ARP (Air Raid Precautions). In fact, so heavily involved was she that she sent my Mum to stay with her aunt, my gran's sister, for a large part of the war.

And where did this aunt live? That's right, in the centre of Swansea.

No comments:

Post a Comment