Friday 13 April 2012

I'm enjoying getting back into swimming...

Until last weekend I'd not been swimming for about 3 months. I don't know why I stopped swimming really. OK, I know why I slowed down and didn't go as often as I might - it was rainy and dark and cold and... a whole raft of other bad excuses but I don't know why I stopped swimming altogether.

Getting back into it has been enjoyable. This last week I've been every other night and swimming tonight was lovely. Although the pool was reduced to it's widthward 25m lanes, there were very few people in the public section and so I had a lane to myself. Bliss. As I huffed and puffed up and down my lane I could hear the furious noise of the swimming club in their cordoned off section. I felt pleased that for once the section I found myself in was relatively quiet.

After finishing my swim, I went for a shower. I'd not been in there long when about 5 or 6 lads in their early 20s from the swimming club joined me. With typical swimmers physiques and squeezed into the tiniest Speedos, I couldn't help but notice them. They joshed and japed with each other, smiling and encouraging me to laugh with them. I didn't need much encouragement. For some reason I was reminded of this scene from towards the end of the TV production of Quentin Crisp's The Naked Civil Servant.

I'm enjoying getting back into swimming...

No comments:

Post a Comment