Friday 6 April 2012

How priorities change...

I once used to think of Good Friday as bit of a waste of a public holiday; most shops and public buildings were closed and licensing laws meant that pubs were open Sunday hours only. There was simply nothing to do.

Many of you will be scratching your heads in puzzlement: what in hell's name are Sunday hours? Well, time was when pubs used to have to close in the afternoon before reopening in the evening and on a Sunday those hours were restricted even further. Good Friday always followed the opening hours of a Sunday and so the start to the Easter weekend was always delayed until this archaic practice was finally binned.

Today has been a relaxed day with no thoughts of any restrictions on shopping or drinking or, for that matter, any other activities. To be honest, I haven't given a thought to anything being shut because it's Good Friday. Indeed, everything I've needed or wanted to do I've done.

I walked to Cardiff city centre today. It was packed with shoppers; a busy day it seemed. The shops were full and restaurants and cafes were doing a brisk trade. Families now treat a visit to Cardiff centre for a look around the shops and a bite to eat as a day out. Time was when there'd have been nothing open in the centre of Cardiff on a Good Friday.

I've not been swimming in over 3 months. It's strange how quickly you can fall out of the habit of doing something. Until early December, I was swimming at least 3 times a week but because of the bike ride to get to the pool, the dark nights and damp weather, I replaced swimming with running. How lovely it was to get back in the pool this afternoon. Time was when the pool would not have been open on a Good Friday.

I called in the supermarket on my way home and picked up some food for my dinner. The aisles were jammed with trolleys as people did their weekly shop. In addition to food, I picked up a couple of bottles of wine that were on offer. Time was when the supermarket would not have been open on a Good Friday and even if they were, they'd not have been able to sell me any alcohol.

How priorities change...

No comments:

Post a Comment