Saturday 21 April 2012

Observations whilst running...

I'm glad I managed to haul my lazy carcass from my pit this morning and go for a pre-breakfast run. The sky was blue and the sun was shining and, if you ignored the chill air, it felt like Summer had arrived. There was much quacking and squawking from the birds in the Bay. Many of the larger trees have started to bud and the smaller trees and shrubs are almost in full leaf. Everything looked very green and Spring like.

One thing that seems to irritate me most and really tests my patience these days is lack of spatial awareness. People that take up the whole pavement, who refuse to let others through, who make large and sudden movements with no regard for those around them, who don't adjust their pace or space to accommodate others; I think it shows lack of consideration for everyone else. As I ran this morning, a cyclist coming towards me on the pavement refused to move in a little to allow us both to pass each other. There was room; all he needed to do was move a foot to the right. In the end I was forced to run in the road to allow him to cycle on the pavement. I hissed "Cock!" at him as I passed, which made me feel better.

I've always been a bit nervous of dogs. I was attacked by a dog when I was a kid and since then I've always been a bit wary of them. As I ran between two guys who were chatting whilst out walking their respective mutts this morning, the dogs decided to fight at the very moment I passed; both dogs straining at the leash and me with my heart in my mouth in the middle. If I'd been wearing my heart rate monitor strap, the spike at that moment would've been off the page.

My run this morning took me past Harry Ramsden's in the Bay. They have posters everywhere promoting vitamin C and on their website they boast, "It may also surprise you that a portion of chips is very a (sic) good source of vitamin C". While this may well be true, I think there are possibly better ways to ensure you're getting your recommended levels. Claiming that chips are a good source of vitamin C is a bit like claiming that cigarettes are a good source of fibre; true but a little disingenuous.
Today's run at 8:25
Distance5.21 kmTime28:35
Pace5:30 min/kmCadence82 spm
Comments: Sunny & clear.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree on the running front Duncan. I tend to throw my shoulder into them slightly if it's a man or shout loudly if it's a girl. Just to frighten them - normally something like 'arwaffle!' - nothing abusive - just something that might make them think I'm slightly deranged.
    musingsfromavalleyboy.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to shout. I would have thought it's quite evident that you are more than slightly deranged from several hundred yards off?

    ReplyDelete