Sunday 6 November 2011

In the mood...

The Puppini Sisters are a close harmony, 1940s feel, swing trio and I can't get these girls out of my mind. I spoke to my friend Lou about them on Twitter last night. She'd not heard of them before, which comes as no surprise. Neither had I until a friend intoduced me to them. They're a bit hard to categorise and consequently aren't given the hard sell treatment by the music industry they otherwise would. No, they remain a jewel waiting to be discovered.

Their performances of swing classics such as It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing) and Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy (of Company B) are stunning. However, it's their swing renditions of new wave/indie classics such as Blondie's Heart of Glass, Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights and Panic by The Smiths that are totally startling and absolutely out of this world.

With the sun glittering in this crisp autumnal weather across Cardiff Bay and The Puppini Sisters going round in my head nothing could dampen my mood today: not running out of milk this morning, not forgetting my phone when I left the house this afternoon, not losing my £1 coin needed to lock my locker at the pool - nothing! I have been In the Mood all day.


And when I eventually got in the pool this afternoon, as I thrashed up and down the lanes, In the Mood went round and round in my head. If I could have found a way of singing it underwater, I would have...
Who's the lovin' daddy with the beautiful eyes
What a pair o' lips, I'd like to try 'em for size
I'll just tell him, "Baby, won't you swing it with me"
Hope he tells me maybe, what a wing it will be
So, I said politely "Darlin' may I intrude"
He said "Don't keep me waitin' when I'm in the mood"
 I saw The Puppini Sisters live about 2 years ago and they were magnificent: faultless singing, superb musicianship and wonderful banter. You leave their shows with a feeling of warmth and satisfaction and huge grin from ear to ear. Here they are singing a medley of some of their songs at the Music Hall Meltdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment