Saturday 26 November 2011

Gadgetry II...

Some of you may remember that towards the end of October I treated myself to Nike+ GPS Sportwatch (as a late birthday present to myself) but things didn't quite work out and I had to return it in early November. Today I took delivery of a Garmin Forerunner 610 as a replacement (and early Christmas present to myself). This was the GPS watch I was initially considering before making the wrong choice with the Nike+ model.

I must say that it's a great watch: easy to configure and to wirelessly pair with both the foot pod and then the computer for uploading results. Getting started needed no reading of manuals as everything is quite intuitive. Within minutes I'd got to grips with the menu and was customising the settings.

From my first run I can report that it feels comfortable to wear and is easy to read whilst running. I thought it was going to be more cumbersome than the Nike+ model whereas in fact it actually feels and looks smaller. It's highly configurable and I've set it up to display the time, distance and pace whilst I run (although there are a number of other options I could have chosen). I've set it up also to vibrate at every kilometer and display my time for that particular kilometer.

There are many other features that I've yet to get my head around like the Virtual Racer function where you can race against yourself in a previously stored run (or against someone else by downloading their previously stored run) and the Where Am I function where the watch guides you back to where you began (or a preset location) - I don't really envisage using this around Cardiff Bay but it could prove useful when I run on holiday.

After my run, upon walking back into my flat, it automatically uploaded the results to the Garmin Connect results page. The layout of the results page feels serious and not gimmicky or patronising - unlike the Nike+ website, which is in danger of becoming so with its cartoon animations and motivational messages.

Fingers crossed that this one doesn't start misbehaving like the Nike+ model. I certainly hope not.
Today's run at 13:34
Distance4.89 kmTime24:55
Pace5:06 min/kmCadence82 spm

No comments:

Post a Comment