Sunday 27 November 2011

How we laughed...

Apparently "Harry Potter and yoga are evil". Father Gabriele Amorth, one of the Catholic Church's best known exorcists, is being ridiculed across the interweb today by the likes of Stephen Fry, Richard Dawkins and Dr Christian Jesson for these remarks - and rightly so. Perhaps he's a Daniel Radcliffe fan and the poster on the right has incensed him?

Where do they get these loons from? It's hilarious that anyone should believe such twaddle strongly enough to voice it in public. It seems that organised religion is awash with the unhinged. How we laughed...

Until we remembered:
The Vatican cover up of hundreds of child abuse cases to protect its clergy.

The death of at least 6 individuals following the advice of churches in London, Manchester and Glasgow that HIV patients should stop taking their medication and trust in God to save them instead.

The Vatican advice to millions that condoms offer no protection against HIV infection.

The Church of England's opposition to Government proposals to lift the ban on civil partnerships taking place in religious buildings.

The Vatican involvement in arranging the escape of Nazi war criminals at the end of the Second World War.
I could go on and talk about the Inquisition and the treatment of Galileo Galilei but I'm fed up. Isn't it about time we firmly dealt with church apologists who bleat their excuses in an attempt to promote, reason and rationalise this hatred?

Anyway, I've spent the first part of today nursing a hangover, having unexpectedly been invited out for a little drinkie last night (which turned into a big drinkie). I then gave myself a shake around lunchtime and ventured out to the supermarket on my bike (the first time in over a month I've been for a cycle). Following that I then went for a run and, although the results below are a bit of a backward step on yesterday, it's a minor miracle I could put one foot infront of the other - given the way I was feeling.
Today's run at 15:12
Distance5.01 kmTime27:08
Pace5:25 min/kmCadence81 spm

7 comments:

  1. I grew up with parents who believe this shite. It's no joke for the kids they raise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet... Richard Dawkins talks about the religious indoctrination of children as child abuse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think he's right.

    I done a blog post. My 1st. It's crap but I don't care.

    It's Matt D by the way. In case you didn't relise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guessed that it was you, Matt. What is the URL of your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. matted42.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just read the Gary Speed posts and I think it's really good. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. High praise. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete