Wednesday 24 August 2011

What year, I don't know...?

As I run tonight, I'm assembling various lists in preparation for my week in Istanbul: the holiday list, the pre-holiday list, the sightseeing list, ad infinitum... I'm nothing without a list!

Time was, I used to juggle numerous lists in my head with no need to jot anything down; nowadays I can barely remember my own name. The lists I was running through are checklists I keep on my phone and iPad which I physically have to tick off when each item is completed. That way I stand a chance of getting through the day. A terrible thing, age...

So, I'm running through my lists in preparation for when I get home so that I can tick items off (or in the case of my sightseeing list, add items), when suddenly I remember that Check if Passport is Valid is not on the list - neither holiday list nor pre-holiday list. Oh no, how did I miss that one? Furthermore, I can't remember exactly when I last renewed my passport.

My breathing gets heavier and I've started to sweat. I keep on running, despite every fibre in my body screaming at me that I should turn around and run back home to check my passport. I can remember that it was at the end of summer or early autumn but what year, I don't know? I remember taking the passport photo myself but again, what year, I don't know?

My pace has now quickened in my haste to get home. What I'd be able to do tonight if I did find out that it was invalid is anybody's guess but there is now a sense of urgency in my stride. All I can see is my passport photo but when was it taken? The rest of the run passes in a blur of emotion centred on the growing belief that I will not be able to travel and I'll have to spend my holiday moping about Cardiff - there's a mosque in Butetown and many saunas have steamrooms and I'd certainly have no problem buying a kebab but Cardiff's no comparison.

Unlocking my front door I tear in and go directly to where I keep my passport. Flicking to the penultimate page I read, "Date of issue: 2nd October 2003. Date of expiry: 2nd October 2013".

Phew! And I think I must have completed my run in record time.


No comments:

Post a Comment