Friday 12 August 2011

Running changed my life...

Tonight's 5km run was the first one at normal pace. I felt that I hit my mark tonight; there was a bit of bounce in my step yet it felt quite relaxed. It's odd how a hip twinge can throw you like this. It's taken nearly 4 weeks to get back to normal since I first realised something wasn't quite right. Maybe I'm too much of a wuss but I really did not want to have to spend weeks having physio and being unable to run.

It never ceases to amaze me how running has become so central to me and who I am. Time was when I would sooner walk barefoot over hot coals (I've since done that) than pull on a pair of shorts and go for a run. It just wasn't me...! And with childhood memories of Tuesday morning schools cross country runs in the rain still gnawing at my medulla, I was in no hurry to give it another go.

I started running when I was in my mid forties; scared by a story a of a heart attack a younger friend of mine had suffered. On hearing his story, I'd rushed out and panic bought a pair of running shorts, a vest and a cheap pair of trainers. The first run was bloody awful and so was the second. My legs were weak my rib cage felt at bursting point and my heart was in my mouth. I'm not quite sure why I continued beyond this point but I'm so pleased now that I did.

Something happened on that third run. Yes, it was bloody awful like the two runs prior to it but something changed: I got a high and I was hooked. From that day on, I used to get so excited about my running days and I must have bored everyone silly in work with tales of my successes (I probably still do). I started to notice a change in me and not just a physical change. Yes, I started to shed a few pounds and that was welcome but, also, I'd noticed a psychological change. I was a happier person, I was able to deal with stress a lot better and I felt more in tune with things.

My behaviour also changed, I started to eat a better diet and I cut down on the amount I was drinking. Rather than start the weekend in a bar on Friday night straight after work, I'd rush home and go for a run. What's the point in all that running if you're gonna undo any good you've gained? I began to arrange my life around my running, which all sounds a bit excessive but I promise you it's not. It's no hardship because my reward is the buzz I get from running and that is instant.

For me the advantages of running are manifold and they span physical, mental and emotional benefits. It's not an understatement when I tell you, "Running changed my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment