Sunday 14 August 2011

Camp as tits...

Considering I didn't go to bed until nearly 1am, it came as a complete shock to find myself wide awake at 6am this morning. I lay there for a while just blinking with that look of "Where am I?" writ large across my face. I rolled around for a while trying to get comfortable but failed. Losing patience with myself, I eventually got up. In a big stomp-around fairy huff!

Bored, I cycled over to the pool for a swim at 8am. The International Pool was open at its full 50m and, as I could've predicted for that time of the morning, it was mega busy. I shared a lane with some guy who looked as if he was training for the Olympics in 2012. He'd brought all his accoutrement with him: water bottle, flippers, kickboard, pullbuoy and stopwatch. I felt intimidated before I got in. I would have perved at his body a little more had he not sped past me each time like a hydrofoil passing a pedalo.

One cycle ride home, two cups of strong coffee and a bowl of porridge made with nutmeg later and I was ready to begin the day. I spent an hour or two looking at Istanbul related content on the Internet, in preparation for my upcoming holiday there. I'm compiling a list of things I want to see and do, so if anyone's been and wants to give me some suggestions of things not to miss, I'd be very grateful. And I'm not sure what to pack because of certain mores around dress codes they have (especially when entering a mosque). I won't be packing the hotpants and rollerblades, then...

I chatted with my friend, Alan, on Skype who was loving the jeans I'd helped him choose yesterday (I'm still not convinced of my part as his style guru). It seems that last night he and a few mates saw the Bette Davis and Joan Crawford classic, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? This is one of my favorite films; both stylish and gauche at the same time. It's great to see that it's still providing enjoyment to new audiences. I'll leave you with this performance from Bette Davis on the Andy Williams show in 1962 promoting Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? She can't sing in time or tune but she's still one of the greatest divas to walk the face of this earth. Camp as tits...!

No comments:

Post a Comment