Tuesday 23 August 2011

Every breath you take...

He had the perfect swimmer's body. He stood at the edge of the pool towering above me, as I clung to the side adjusting my goggles below him. He jumped into my lane and swam the entire 25m length without surfacing for air. I was impressed. He turned and did exactly the same on the way back. I was doubly impressed. I passed him doing my Steamboat Willy impersonation and, try as I might, I couldn't see his blowhole.

When I swim I don't seem to be able to hold my breathe for very long at all. As I thrash swim up and down the pool, I find I need to breathe every other stroke: when my right arm lifts and arches ready to break the surface, I turn my head and snatch a breath. I find bilateral breathing very difficult - where you alternate the side, breathing every 3rd stroke.

I continued to chug up and down the lane whilst the beautiful Mr Blowhole glided through the water without, apparently, the need for oxygene. It seems I'll never get to play Mrs Rosen in The Poseidon Adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment