Tuesday 14 February 2012

When Valentine messages go wrong...

It was 8:00am on St Valentine's Day 2011 and I was stood at the bus stop on my way to work. I was texting a gay friend of mine; doing the usual Valentines jokes, asking if the card or flowers I'd sent had arrived yet. He replied with much the same question and this went on for a few flirtatious exchanges. My last text to him just before I got into work was, I thought, a good one-liner; something to move him onto the next level in inappropriateness. It made me smile.

Throughout that morning I fully expected him to come back with something witty. Maybe something to top my last text; I was looking forward to an escalation of inappropriate texts with him. It was busy in work that day so when he didn't reply I soon forgot and thought no more of it.

Two weeks later I was sitting in bed at about midnight. I couldn't get to sleep and it seemed as good a time as any to go through my phone to tidy up my contacts and delete any unwanted texts. My eye was drawn to one I'd sent to a colleague. I can remember frowning and thinking, I've not been in contact via text with that person in months.

Of course, when I opened the text, there it was, "In a taxi on my way to yours now. I have your Valentine's gift with me. Ooo, these hot-pants are chafing!" sent to a straight guy I work with. After the first flush of embarrassment, I started to giggle, which, in turn became a belly laugh until tears were rolling down my cheeks as I gasped for air. I laughed myself to sleep that night.

What was funniest of all was that he'd not thought to ask why I'd sent it to him. Knowing him, he'd've just rolled his eyes and thought no more of it. Thank you @Jaymond36.
Today's run at 18:16
Distance4.01 kmTime22:05
Pace5:30 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Cloudy.

No comments:

Post a Comment