Tuesday 7 February 2012

Watch with Mother...

Watch With Mother was a slot on BBC TV airing various children's programmes though the 60s and 70s before being replaced in 1980 by the inferior See-Saw. However, I don't ever remember watching any of these programmes actually with my Mother. She was always in another room. It didn't matter, I was entertained.

I can just about remember sitting squat on the floor in front of that old black and white TV, as the valves warmed up for about two minutes before any picture appeared. There was no remote. Even the laziest TV addict got some exercise when they wanted to change channels.

We could only receive two channels in our house back then, BBC1 and HTV. BBC2, I think, had started broadcasting but the reception was poor and we couldn't get it. And if on those two channels there was nothing that you liked, then you switched the set off and did something else.

My favourite programme was Pogles' Wood - Mr and Mrs Pogle, Pippin and Tog. They lived within the root structure of a large tree and I was totally fascinated by them. I guess, by today's standards, they look quite primative but in the late 60s Pogles' Wood was a magical and enchanting place.

Pogles' Wood was the creation of Oliver Postgate, creator of other children's classics such as Ivor the Engine, The Clangers and Bagpuss. He was a conscientious objector during the Second World War and was active in anti nuclear campaigns during the 70s and 80s. Postgate's voice will be instantly recognisable to anyone who was a child in Britain from the late 50s onwards.

Just the mention of Pogles' Wood takes my mind rushing back to a time when I dreamt of living my life as a wide eyed changeling boy called Pippin whose best friend was a large, stripy, squirrel-like creature called Tog.

1 comment: