Friday 24 February 2012

Happy days...

Pictured on the right is a London Transport Photocard from 1987. And pictured on that card is me aged 25. I came across it at the bottom of a drawer a couple of days ago.

I was working as an actor for Gay Sweatshop, a London based gay theatre company. We were touring out of London and it was my first professional acting role. I was (despite the rather earnest look on my face) chuffed to bits.

I spent my spare time drinking endless cups of tea at the newly opened First Out Cafe or watching Lily Savage (before she hit the big time) at the Prince of Wales in Brixton or the Royal Vauxhall Tavern in Vauxhall. First Out closed last year, the Prince of Wales is now a straight bar called the Prince but, I'm happy to say, the Royal Vauxhall Tavern (or RVT as it's now known) is still flying that rainbow flag.

They were uncertain times: Thatcher was at the height of her powers and there was always something to protest about or march against. Happy days, indeed...

1 comment:

  1. Yes; Happy days indeed were spent at the Vauxhall Tavern!

    ReplyDelete