Friday 3 February 2012

Ain't no shrimp...

This is the stuff of nightmares; a crustacean monster, some as long as 34cm, has been discovered lurking 7km down in the deep off the coast of New Zealand. When I saw the news item on these gargantuan amphipods, I froze.

You have to admit that this king size member of the amphipod family is a repulsive brute. Even at their smallest, they're not the world's cuddliest of creatures. At over a foot long, cuddly couldn't be further from my mind.

You'd need a couple of jars of Thousand Island Dressing to make a prawn cocktail out of these daddies.
Today's run at 18:30
Distance4.01 kmTime21:40
Pace5:24 min/kmCadence81 spm
Comments: Cold. Clear.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Duncan, that makes me feel better about what's lurking in the sea for my swim...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They'll be nibbling at you as you thrash about... ;-)

    ReplyDelete