Monday 24 October 2011

Words of advice...

There are two doctors that I see at the practice I attend; one I get on with really well, the other less so. On my way back from work tonight I got off my bus early and called in at the surgery and, as luck would have it, saw the one I get on with. As I left the surgery, it was getting dark and it started raining quite heavily. This was made worse by the sharp gusts of wind that seemed to splash the rain at me from every angle. I was drenched.

All I could think of on my 1,500m walk home was that this was awful weather to walk home in but perfect running weather. I was so looking forward to a lovely run and enjoying the rainy, windswept, cloudy and dark Autumn evening. Once in, I quickly changed into my running kit and hurtled out the door, eager to enjoy this weather.

Tonight I ran a route I'd not run in years. After crossing Clarence Bridge, I followed the Taff up Taff Embankment and then turned right onto Penarth Road. I followed Penarth Road behind Cardiff Central onto Tresillian Way and across Callaghan Square, then briefly onto Herbert Street before turning right onto Lloyd George Avenue (Boy George Avenue for those in the club). I followed Boy George Avenue back into the Bay and then cut across the Oval Basin and through Mermaid Quay and home. It made a change form the usual route.

I would have done well to contemplate the phrase less haste, more speed before setting off.
  • Jumping over walls and taking shortcuts down dirt tracks on a route you've not run in ages, as you know, isn't advisable in the dark; not with your appalling night vision. Stick to the well lit pavements.
  • Take a note from yesterday: look where you're going rather than at your new Nike+ watch. That way, you might outlive the watch's warranty.
  • You will feel hotter than you think when you're out running. This you know. There is no reason to wear your running jacket just yet.
  • You really shouldn't feel disappointed that your route isn't strewn with new personal bests, especially when it's blowing a gale and, for the most part, in the opposite direction to which you're running.
  • Go for a pee before you set off. Remember that all that jogging about will exaggerate that bursting feeling.
  • If you run with that stupid grin on your face, don't be surprised when people stare at you.
Advice is rarely followed and we seldom learn from experience. I came close to accident and injury so many times tonight; how I didn't trip, slip, fall, overheat or wet myself I don't know. I shall take it as a warning shot from the Baby Jesus.

Tonight, another faultless performance from my Nike+ Sportwatch and another so-so performance from me: I ran 5.08 km in 28'50" at an average pace of 5'40"/km.

No comments:

Post a Comment