Tuesday 18 October 2011

Still going strong...

My concentration on keeping my running cadence bouyant continues. It's not easy to increase your stride rate by 10% or more but certainly not as difficult as I'd originally feared. And tonight, unlike last night, I did it without a whiff of dog shit.

However, as fit and adept at running as I may become, I don't think I'm ever going to be running marathons aged 100. Fauja Singh became the oldest marathon runner by doing just this at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon with a time of eight hours, 25 minutes and 16 seconds. I can't even imagine being alive at that age, nevermind running a bloody marathon.

As we get older, physical exercise becomes a bit of a trade off: our bodies become more suseptable to injury but the benefits of remaining physically active into our old age brings with it a whole host of benefits - both mental and physical.

I don't think I'm alone in expressing doubt as to whether I could run a marathon at his age (or whether I would want to). However, he does put us all to shame with our over indulgence coupled with our sedentry lifestyles. When you think of what he's accomplished, there is no reason why all of us couldn't try a little harder to look after ourselves...?

No comments:

Post a Comment