Wednesday 26 October 2011

Here come the planes...

I had one song stuck in my head tonight as I ran:  O Superman by Laurie Anderson from her ground breaking album, Big Science. Don't ask me why; I don't think I've heard it anywhere recently. But round and round it went like a mantra in my head to the beat of my feet pounding the pavement. It didn't help my run tonight; in fact, I ran at a slower pace than last night. But then, it's hard to run at full tilt whilst singing Laurie Anderson songs; all that panting doesn't help. I ran 4.23 km in 23'51" at an average pace of 5'38"/km. Certainly no superman...

I know that this has been written about before but has anybody listened to the lyrics of O Superman? I mean, really listened? They're a little inpenetrable and, if you're anything like me, they probably don't mean very much to you. That is until I mention 9/11.  I'm no conspiracy theorist but I was a smidge unnerved by how prophetic they are regarding 9/11 and the subsequent fallout. Listen again with 9/11 in mind.
O Superman. O Judge. O Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad. O Superman. O Judge. O Mom and Dad. Mom and Dad.
Hi. I'm not home right now. But if you want to leave a message, just start talking at the sound of the tone.
Hello? This is your Mother. Are you there? Are you coming home? Hello? Is anybody home?
Well, you don't know me, but I know you. And I've got a message to give to you.
Here come the planes.
So you better get ready. Ready to go. You can come as you are, but pay as you go. Pay as you go.
And I said: OK. Who is this really?
And the voice said: This is the hand, the hand that takes. This is the hand, the hand that takes.
This is the hand, the hand that takes.
Here come the planes. They're American planes. Made in America. Smoking or non-smoking?
And the voice said: Neither snow nor rain nor gloom of night shall stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.
Cause when love is gone, there's always justice.
And when justive is gone, there's always force.
And when force is gone, there's always Mom.
Hi Mom!
So hold me, Mom, in your long arms.
So hold me, Mom, in your long arms. In your automatic arms. Your electronic arms. In your arms.
So hold me, Mom, in your long arms. Your petrochemical arms. Your military arms. In your electronic arms.
The track was released as a single in the UK in 1981; that's 20 years before the attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon. At first, it seems strange and not a little disturbing to see now how well it describes the events of 9/11 and our reaction to those events. However, I think it's a false connection to use it as a prophecy.

Personally, I think it's a beautiful song. I well remember buying the single when it first came out and subsequently the album. I also think that it was truly ahead of its time - but only in a musical sense. I think its references to 9/11 when held up to the light are, at best, coincidence. It's easy to colour match, in retrospect, such vague and tantalising lyrics.

7 comments:

  1. As you say Duncan, it's only in hindsight that we interpret these coincidences. We give it - sometimes personal, sometimes collective -meaning by our own colourful interpretations. Personally, I think it's homo sapiens' way of dealing with our random and chaotic cosmos.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So laurie anderson is responsible for 9/11. Can't trust these arty types....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wim, I think you're right; I don't think we deal with random coincidences very well. We always seem to need to find a meaning. It's why we invented God.

    As for Laurie Anderson being responsible for 9/11, I understand that, following my tip off here, she's currently being questioned by the authorities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think she'll be allowed all those vocal effects when being questioed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Instead of solicitor being present when she's questioned, she's asked for someone to go, "hu, hu, hu, hu, hu, hu, hu, hu, hu...."

    ReplyDelete
  6. True Duncan, about the invention of gods - there are more after all. ;-)

    Also, the equivalent concept for non-religious people seem to be 'fate', though I reckon that is close to believing in some vague deistic entity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. O Fortuna, the Fates, Dame Fortune, Lady Luck... Call her what you will, you're right.

    ReplyDelete