Saturday 28 January 2012

Dr John Sentamu...

I used to say live and let live when it came to religion. If someone asked me what I thought, despite being an atheist for my entire adult life, I'd usually respond with, "Whatever gets you through the day..."

Recent comments by Dr John Sentamu, Archbishop of York and second in command in the Church of England ranks, indicate that possibly my laissez faire attitude needs revision. Sentamu has gone on record as saying that ministers should not overrule the Bible and tradition by allowing same-sex marriage. He continued:
"I don't think it is the role of the state to define what marriage is.
"It is set in tradition and history and you can't just (change it) overnight, no matter how powerful you are.
"We've seen dictators do it, by the way, in different contexts and I don't want to redefine very clear social structures that have been in existence for a long time and then overnight the state believes it could go in a particular way."
In a modern society, should we allow such believers of myth and superstition a national platform, given their medieval world view?

For anyone interested in this fool's bilious jibberings, you can read it here in Sentamu's interview with the Telegraph.
Today's run at 16:34
Distance4.40 kmTime24:36
Pace5:36 min/kmCadence82 spm
Comments: Clear. Cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment