Tuesday 27 December 2011

R.I.P....

Well, my PC finally died this morning. If the truth be told, Beastie's been looking rather poorly for the last couple of weeks. I wish I could report that it passed away quickly and peacefully in its sleep rather than the spluttering and protracted agony it suffered as I screamed obscenities at it.

I went for a run to try and figure what I should do next (if in doubt, go for a run). Was it worth resuscitating Beastie? If I followed that route then it would be Professor PC's 3rd visit in the last 6 months. Was it time to move on; to accept that Beastie had finally died and to buy a replacement?

My mind drifted to my visit to the Apple Store yesterday as, wide eyed and over-awed, I fingered the iMacs on display. Had the day finally arrived to bite the bullet and buy a Mac? I dreamt of this for a kilometer or more before finally coming to my senses and realising that I could knock the best part of a grand off the iMac I wanted and still have a decent PC to work with. I couldn't justify spending £1,250 on a new iMac (beautiful though they are).

So it was then that I hauled my sullen butt over to PC World this afternoon to buy a cheap base unit to replace the gone but not forgotten Beastie. It then took me the rest of the afternoon to try and configure the new one and replace the programmes I'd been using on Beastie.

I still haven't finished that configuration but the rest can wait. I'd also intended picking over Beastie's carcass this afternoon to see what I could re-use but that will also have to wait until I can face the emotional stress of seeing it laid out - like a patient etherised upon a table.
Today's run at 09:34
Distance4.01 kmTime22:01
Pace5:29 min/kmCadence80 spm
Comments: Calm, still, cloudy.

2 comments:

  1. Duncan what have you done!!! Such a wasted opportunity :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not as rich as you might think and there's something I resist about giving my soul over to Apple entirely.

    ReplyDelete