Thursday 8 December 2011

If you'd been any prettier...

In 1961, Peter O'Toole started filming in the title role of David Lean's epic, Lawrence of Arabia. By the time filming was finished 18 months later, he'd lost 13kgs, sprained both ankles, dislocated his spine, broken his thumb, received third-degree burns, torn ligaments in his hip and thigh, sprained his neck and was twice concussed.

Lawrence Of Arabia was hailed as a masterpiece when it opened in 1962. His extraordinary performance made him a star. "I woke up one morning to find I was famous. I bought a white Rolls-Royce and drove down Sunset Boulevard, wearing dark specs and a white suit, waving like the Queen Mum. Nobody took any fucking notice, but I thoroughly enjoyed it."

His hard drinking and flamboyant character have often made the headlines. He is reputed to have once said, "I can't stand light. I hate weather. My idea of heaven is moving from one smoke-filled room to another." When asked if he had any regrets about his hard drinking reputation he replied, "Regrets, ah," he said, "Only French singers don't have regrets."

Upon the release of Lawrence of Arabia, Noel Coward is said to have told O'Toole, "If you'd been any prettier, it would have been Florence of Arabia."
Today's run at 17:44
Distance3.98 kmTime21:39
Pace5:26 min/kmCadence82 spm

2 comments: